World War II History
For Veterans By Veterans
History from the greatest generation, World War II if you have a story we can tell please let us know we would be proud to tell it. All who served in WWII are heroes from all services from all nations who served beside us.
- B-17 in 1943 A mid-air collision on February 1, 1943, between a B-17 and a German fighter over the Tunis dock area, became the subject of one of the most famous photographs of World War II. An enemy fighter attacking a 97th Bomb Group formation went out of control, probably with a wounded pilot then continued its crashing descent into the rear of the fuselage of a Fortress named All American, piloted by Lt. Kendrick R. Bragg, of the 414th Bomb Squadron.
- Boyd D. "Buzz" Wagner was Commander of the 17th Pursuit Squadron on December 8, 1941, when the Japanese attacked Clark Field, and became one of the first American pilots to engage the enemy in the air. Later in the month, he became the first American World War II ace when he downed his fifth Japanese aircraft.
- Last Island Invasion The last battle invasion of WWII was seen by Don Lumsden first hand.Don is the Oldest Frogman in the US. Read about some of his stories and see why the UDT teams of the 1940-s evolved into the Navy SEALs of the 1960's
- WWII King of the Pacific See this amazing original color film of the war in the Pacific with the aircraft carriers role in it. The Aircraft carrier changed the way war was fought at sea. These carriers were truly the Kings of the Pacific, with as many as 3500 men aboard.
- World War II-in-the-Philippines From the attack at Clark Field till Mac Arthur returned to Leyte. The war in the Philippines has many stories learn about the Great Raid in Cabanatuan. And the landing at the Lingayan Gulf in Northern Luzon
- Van T Barfoot an American Hero Twenty-five years later, on May 23, 1944, near Carano , Italy , Van T. Barfoot, who had enlisted in the US Army in 1940, set out to flank German machine gun positions from which fire was coming down on his fellow soldiers.
- War in the Pacific The war in the pacific was a series of island hoping invasions and battles taking the Pacific back from the Japanese one island at a time. From the Philippines to Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Okinawa, Guam, Rota, Tinian, Papua New Guinea, Yap etc.
- War in the Philippines Starting with the attack on 8 December 1941 when the Japanese attack Clark Field, To the Leyte Gulf when Mac Arthur kept his promise to return.
- Old 666 B-17 Bomber B17 bombers fought in the pacific war with great successes this video is a tribute to one of them. Old 666 is immortalized in this video.
- History of Tinian Island Pacific Ocean On July 24, 1944, 30,000 US Marines landed on the beaches of Tinian... Eight days later, over 8,000 of the 8,800 Japanese soldiers on the island were dead (vs. 328 Marines), and four months later the Seabees had built the busiest airfield of WWII - dubbed North Field - enabling B-29 Super fortresses to launch air attacks on the Philippines, Okinawa, and mainland Japan.
- The Great Raid at Cabanatuan The Raid at Cabanatuan was a rescue of Allied prisoners of war (POWs) and civilians from a Japanese camp near Cabanatuan City, in the Philippines. On January 30, 1945, during World War II, United States Army Rangers, Alamo Scouts, and Filipino guerrillas liberated more than 500 from the POW camp.
- Bataan Death March The Bataan Death March began as a plea for life. Men were tired, weak, and lacking food. The 70-mile march from Mariveles (on the tip of Bataan) to San Fernando was a trial that tested a man, broke him, or got him killed. The famished men who made the exhausting march in World War II would never be forgotten.
- Camp Bright Guam Pictures of Camp Bright US Navy small boat repair station in Guam WWII. Camp Bright was a small boat repair station and historical photographs were lost to the Navy until these photos came forth at the 50th anniversary to the invasion of Guam by the Marines
- Shifty Powers history of a quiet hero "Shifty" By Chuck Yeager:
Shifty volunteered for the airborne in WWII and served with Easy Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, part of the 101st Airborne Infantry. If you've seen Band of Brothers on HBO or the History Channel, you know Shifty. His character appears in all 10 episodes, and Shifty himself is interviewed in several of them.
- Eniwetok Operation, February 1944. Weary Marines take time out of coffee after two days and nights of fighting on Eniwetok Atoll.
- Burmese-Jungle British troops take on the Japanese in intense jungle warfare.
- Fritz Payne world war two Marine Corp ace has lived 100 years we salute him and his war exploits. Major Payne entered combat at Guadalcanal in September 1942 on detached duty with VMF-223. His first victory was a half-share in a Japanese twin-engine bomber on 14 September followed by a solo victory two weeks later. When his own squadron, VMF-212, arrived in October, Payne quickly added for more victories: two bombers and a pair of Zekes between 18 and 23 October to become a Wildcat ace.